Home About The Fame! Contact

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Sugared Coconut Rum Bundt Cake

Bundt cake again. I love them.

Before we went to Miami for our recent holiday, Percy came home one day from work one evening and told me that he was hosting a meeting for a group of planners and needed me to make a cake for it.

I'll not lie to you: my first thought was why on Earth did that cursed careers advisor tell me to study Japanese when I was fifteen and not instruct me to focus on gaining employment in local government? I mean, not once, not even a single time in any job I have ever had has anybody brought home made cake to a meeting for me and my colleagues to eat, or to be honest, referred to the action of holding a meeting as 'hosting'. I felt very hard done to, I must say.

Still, I put aside my immense sadness and asked why I had to bake a cake that I wasn't even going to get a slice of, for loads of people I had never even met. And I'll tell you what, the answer was a good one.

'Well, you don't have to if you don't have time. But it's an after work meeting which people from other authorities are coming to, we're holding it in our own time on Friday night and there isn't a budget for catering or to cover anyone's travel costs. I bought some tea and coffee but wanted to put on a bit of food. Your cakes are better than anything in the shops. I really care about the project and I want to make a good impression.'

I know you all think I have a heart of stone. But it really got me. I'm married to one of those people who loves what they do and thinks it's worth doing things to the best of your ability. I'd have made ten cakes if he'd wanted!

Also, I must say that I love the fact that my sugar and butter-fuelled baking obsession has now reached what might be labelled a useful skill set. I can use it to do favours for people. Which is a very nice feeling indeed. (They don't know it's all the work of the KitchenAid!)

So. Flattered by P's praise and flushed with the recent Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake success, I tweaked the recipe and came up with this, the Sugared Coconut Rum Bundt Cake. It's rather amazing. I know that for a fact because I did actually find a small piece made its way home to me after all. Wrapped in a rather fifties looking peach coloured paper napkin. He wasn't lying about there not being a budget!

This cake is buttery, rich and moist. The coconut adds texture, and with the rum glaze, makes it one of the most satisfyingly tropical tasting recipes I have ever experienced. Well worth having a go.


Sugared Coconut Rum Bundt Cake

You will need:

225g unsalted butter, softened
400g sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
300g plain flour
225ml milk
100g dessicated coconut

60ml white rum (I used Malibu. Yum.)
150g sugar


  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 25cm tube pan, or a 2.4 litre capacity bundt-style pan. Nordic Ware bundts are all this size, so if you have one of them, you're good to go.
  2. Cream together the butter, sugar, and salt.
  3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating really well after each addition. It helps prevent curdling if they are at room temperature, though since I keep eggs outside of the fridge, mine always are.
  4. Mix the baking powder with the flour. Add this dry mix alternately with the milk, in thirds, starting and ending with flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the dessicated coconut.
  5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  6. Bake the cake for about an hour, or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  7. While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the rum and sugar. 
  8. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the tin to loosen the cake, and turn the it out onto the rack.
  9. Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick to create holes for the glaze to sink into.
  10. Stir the glaze, and immediately brush it on the hot cake a little at a time, continuing until all the glaze is used.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Good work! I browsed past a gluten free coconut flour the other day and thought, "I'd never need that".... Damn!!! That would be incredible. MUST get a bundt tin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be amazing! The dessicated I buy is actually almost like flour: it is the very fine grade stuff you can by in Indian stores. Actually, I seem to do all my shopping in Indian stores. I mean, who can afford to pay supermarket prices for coconut?

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful - I too would've melted when given the reasons to make it! Great bundt mould too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very special. Does my head in as well though.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I love bundt cakes, this one looks and sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no frosting to make us all feel sick!!

      Delete
  4. Mr P, that does sound scrummy, and I AM on a bit of a coconut kick right now!

    ReplyDelete

That's what he said.

Related Posts with Thumbnails